Share and recommend this website:
Roulette is a casino and gambling game (Roulette is a French word meaning "small wheel"). A croupier turns a round roulette wheel which has 37 or 38 separately numbered pockets in which a ball must land. The main pockets are numbered from 1 to 36 and alternate between red and black, with number 1 being red. There is also a green pocket numbered 0. In most roulette wheels in the United States but not in Europe, there is a second zero compartment marked 00, also colored green.
If a player bets on a single number and wins, the payout is 35 to 1. The bet itself is returned, so in total it is multiplied by 36. A player can bet on numbers, combinations, ranges, odds/evens, and colors.
Types of roulette
- American roulette
(American roulette wheels have two "0's", zero and double zero)
- European roulette
(European roulette has only one zero)
In European roulette there is only one zero, giving the house an advantage of 2.7% (American house advantage is 5.3%)
Description of bets (see picture bellow)
American roulette table:
European roulette table:
- Straight: a single number. The chip is placed entirely on this square and no other.
- Split: a bet on two adjoining numbers, either on the vertical or horizontal (as in 14-17 or 8-9). The chip is placed on the edge between these numbers.
- Street: a bet on three numbers on a single horizontal line. The chip is placed on the edge of the number at the left or the right, depending on the layout.
- Corner (or square): a bet on four numbers in a square layout (as in 19-20-22-23). The chip is placed at the horizontal and vertical intersection of these numbers.
- Sixline (or 'sixaine'): a bet on two adjoining streets, with the chip placed at the corresponding intersection (as in 25-30).
Click on picture to enlarge it.
[ Online casino news archive